Οrganic Extra Virgin Olive Oıl in Cosmetics
Οrganic extra virgin olive oil has many beneficial properties for the health, growth and maintenance of the skin.
• Rich in Omega: 3 and Omega: 6, it protects the cell membrane from the loss of water through the cell and prevents the entry of toxins from the skin.
• Its rich content in vitamins (ascorbic acid, niacin, pantothenic acid, B6, D, E and K) nourishes the skin and helps develop a healthy skin
• The presence of vitamin E promotes the creation of collagen and elastin, hampers ultraviolet radiation and protects against oxidation.
• It is a source of trace elements (Ca, Fe, K, Na, Zn, Cu, Mn, Se), necessary for the structure of new tissues and vital skin functions.
• It contains amino-acids which are very important components of skin’s normal moisturizing factor (NMF) and are necessary for maintaining normal metabolic activity of cells, as they are involved in the synthesis of collagen, elastin and keratin.
• Significant is its content in squalene, which has antioxidant activity, protects against UV radiation and creates a protective film over the skin resulting in protection from moisture loss.
History of Olive Oil
• Olive oil has been used since ancient times to produce perfumes and cosmetics as a valuable commodity for skin and skin health. Having refreshing, moisturizing and soothing properties, it was used in many creams, soaps and perfumes.
• Ancient Greeks believed that olive oil eliminates wrinkles and slows the fall of hair.They put perfumed oil not only on their body but also on their hair and possibly on their clothes.
• For grooming the best quality oil was used, kept in special utensils, such as pseudo-mouth amphoras.
• Asclepiades, in the Sanctuary of Asclepius, provided medical treatment with the use of olive oil and psychosomatic treatment in beautiful natural environment, healthy climate, entertainment and worship.
• The production of aromatic oil in Greece is attested in the Mycenaean era by the Linear NW signs of Pylos. Also Theophrastus in his work “On Smells” and Dioskouridis save information about the ingredients and recipes for the production of aromatic oil.
• Aristotle, ın ıts Athenian Constitution, mentions that the winners of races received oil as a prize.
• Athletes rubbed their bodies with large quantities of olive oil before participating in the games, and so did the warriors before the battle.
• Iliad states that Aphrodite coated Hector’s body with ambrosia oil and roses for protection.
• Homer had described it as “liquid gold“. In Homeric times, they used oil exclusively for body care.
• Odysseus, when he got shipwrecked at the island of Corfu, removed the dust from his body and then rubbed ıt with oil given to him by the handmaids
• Romans learned from the ancient Greeks to appreciate oil as an element of beauty and produce various kinds of essential oils, while in the absence of soaps, olive oil played an important role in people’s lives.
• In recent history, women in Asia Minor have used olive oil as a staple in cosmetics and body perfumes.
• On top of all, however, is the preparation of Agios Myros, which, as mentioned, is still made, untıl today, by a special perfumer, mixed with aromatic substances, symbolizing the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Olive Oil Usefulness
The extra virgin olive oil from organic farming is a valuable resource for the health of skin and skin itself. Its uniqueness is due to its composition. It contains:
• Fatty acids, oleic, linoleic, alpha-linolenic and arachidonic, which protect the cell membrane from the loss of water through the cells and prevent the entry of toxins.They also reduce inflammation in the fatty skin typessignificantly. The use of good quality fats, such organıc extra virgin olive oils, lubricates the skin and keeps its antioxidant characteristics intact.
• Tocopherols, known for their antioxidant activity. They are key components of collagen and elastin, reduce the effect of UVG radiation on the skin and improve its texture.
• Squalene, sterols and carotenoids. Squalene is distributed throughout the human body, but has a maximum concentration in the skin, where it is one of the major components of lipids on the skin surface. Squalene protects human skin from lipid peroxidation due to various sources of ionizing radiation such as ultraviolet radiation.
• Carotenoids, which are effective interference factors that detect the oxidants produced and play an important protective role in the health of the skin.
• Naturally balanced quantities of active ingredients for the skin which are contained in extra virgin olive oil have a positive effect on the smooth functioning of the skin, participating in the processes of metabolism and nutrition, in the functioning of enzyme systems, while also being essential cell components.
As a result of all the above, the skin is invigorated, refreshed and regains its natural radiance and beauty.
The Science of Cosmetology
Modern Cosmetology, the science which deals with human beauty, has all information and knowledge contributing to rational design of cosmetic products, distinguished for their high degree of safety and efficiency and has demonstrated significant achievements in recent decades.
Modern cosmetics, when selected appropriately for each case and used correctly and consistently, provide significant assistance to both beauty and the preservation of a healthy skin and its components. They greatly support the restoration of skin wear and damage, protect skin from poisonous environmental factors, promote and activate its physiological functions, normalize some deviations of its functions (such as excessive dehydration or excessive oiliness). They contribute to the improvement and preservation of good skin health slowing down its wear and ageing.
However, there is no cosmetic that is a panacea and can work miracles, as some manufacturers misleadingly claim, creating thereby unfulfilled consumer expectations. Cosmetics are not medications that cure diseases, but preparations which can prevent the onset of damage and malfunctions.
The most important factor to achieve what cosmetics and their manufacturing companies promise, is choosing the right products and their proper use by the aesthetician and the end user.
The company Cavallier Cosmetics LTD is a dynamic company manufacturing and marketing organic cosmetic products of personal care.
Its presence in the field of creation and production of cosmetic preparations for 25 years has provided the necessary know – how and experience in the product development, thus providing innovative and pioneering products, which respect and are fully friendly with the human and the environment. Having man and nature at its epicentre, the company moved to the development and production of organic cosmetics, certified by competent bodies.
The production of organic products is a task which requires continuous monitoring of permitted substances and methods in the product development process, while subjected to strict controls for the product safety and its identification as organic.
Αs a rule, the production of organic products is strictly assigned to companies that possess qualified personnel and apply international standards.
The manufacture of products is undertaken by the company, which complies with the rules and norms of the European standard, while is also a body of production of organic cosmetics approved by the Hellenic Single Βοdy of Drug Administration.
The process of certifying organic cosmetic products is performed by the approved and authorized Institute for the Ethic Certification, ICEA, which aims to produce organic and environmentally friendly cosmetic products based on specific standards.
Comlpıance wıth the certification standard ensures the effective implementation of environmental measures in the production process, respect for the consumer and use of natural raw materials of superior ecological quality.