«MELAS – EPIDAURUS OLIVE OIL DOMAIN» has 6 (six) privately-owned organic olive groves of a total area of 50 acres in the area of Lygourio in the Municipality of Epidaurus.
The olive variety prevailing in the region is «Manaki» or «Agouromanako» at 80%, while «Koroneiki» at 10% and «Αthinolia» at 10%.
The deriving olive oil PDO Lygourio Asklipiou has been certified by the European Community as a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) in the year 1996. The product has a consistent taste and aroma and excellent sensory characteristics under normal conditions.
Organic Olıve Grove
«MELAS – EPIDAURUS OLIVE OIL DOMAIN» is established inside an organic olive grove of an area of 20 acres, in a low hill-flat land at Lygourio. The grove dates back to 1955, when young trees of the variety “Manaki” were planted and is systematically cultivated by the family up to date.
From 2008, it hosts the modern oil production facilities, maintaning, through the years, a great wealth of flora and fauna and presenting strong organic activity.
- The soil – climatic conditions are ideal. The soil is sand-argilic with large amounts of total calcium.
- It is fertilized through organic enrichment from compost created by the leaves coming from the mill defoliating facilities.
- The control for diseases is achieved by using conventional means (traps) to combat olive fly during cultivation.
- Systematic pruning applies starting from the trees’ young age, to produce a satisfactory harvest every second year, to prevent pests and diseases and to ensure better ventilation and more exposure to sun.
- Watering is reinforced during the summer months by drip irrigation from private borehole, which provides drinking water of excellent quality.
- It is annually monitored and systematically checked by the Organization for control of biological products “BIO HELLAS”.
- Its harvest takes place in December and returns high quality organic extra virgin olive oil in a 4:1 ratio, which is bottled in dark green numbered glass bottles of 500 ml, labelled “Organic” and “PDO Lygourio Asklipiou”.